The Glass Float Project returns once again this summer to Block Island. The hidden glass floats, otherwise known as “Orbs”, are a Block Island tradition that delights and frustrates visitors throughout the summer. The softball-sized, hand-blown glass balls are scattered across the island to be found by lucky souls.
The glass balls are crafted by Eben Horton, and funded by the Rhode Island State Council on the Arts and Block Island businesses. To support the project, a Kickstarter campaign in progress until May 19.
If you help fund the project you are REWARDED! Here are some highlights, be sure to check out the site to see the full details and to donate.
- $10 or more: Glass “coin” and subscription to the email alerts of when more floats are being hidden
- $50 or more: Your own signed float
- $60 or more: Pendant Block Island Necklace
- $70 or more: Special extra large float
- $90 or more: Solid glass float paperweight
- $150 or more: Exclusive blue glass float
- $250 or more: Signed Gold leaf float
So far the campaign has raised $6,500 of its $8,000 goal. The project works with the Nature Conservancy to encourage visitors to explore all that the island has to offer. Giving helps support this mission (and might help you find your own orb this summer!). Give here.